The Students with Diabetes Internship Program™ is a competitive program designed to develop and train undergraduate and graduate students living with type 1 diabetes to become leaders in the diabetes community.
The Students with Diabetes Internship Program™ will coordinate 6-12 week summer internships in a diabetes related field beginning June through August, 2017. Students with Diabetes will match prospective interns with internship opportunities. Prior to the internship, Students with Diabetes will host interns at an SWD Leadership Training Academy. During this experience, interns will receive basic training in professional behavior, communication skills, advocacy, and grass roots organization and development.
Internships Will Be In the Following Areas of Diabetes
- Non-Profit Management
September, 2016 – Application process opens
January 15, 2017 – Application deadline
January, 2017 – Intern Finalists notified
January, 2017 – Skype Interviews
February-April 2017 – Internship Offers
May 26, 2017 – Leadership Academy
June, 2017 – Internships begin
August, 2017 – Internships conclude
Requirements for Participation
- Participants must be either Bachelors or Masters degree students
- Participants must be a full-time student in an undergraduate or graduate program and have successfully completed at least one year of course work (ages 18-25)
- Participants must have lived with diabetes for at least 1 year
- Participants must be Members of Students With Diabetes – via website
- Participants must provide a Letter of Support from a health professional
- Participants must provide a Letter of Recommendation from a professor or employer
- To receive college credit, participants must furnish approval documents from their college or university to both Students with Diabetes and the internship site coordinator (Students with Diabetes will assist in gaining the necessary approvals).
All applicants must submit the following:
- Complete Application – All Applications Must by Typed!
- Letter of Support from a health professional
- Letter of Recommendation from a professor or employer
- Proof of Enrollment
- Phone / Skype Interview
Between 20-30 young adults with T1D will be chosen for internships. The selection criteria includes:
- Writing Skills
- Career Aspirations
- Sense of Commitment
- Recommendations (professional, faculty and medical)
- Completion of Application
Expectations of Interns
Interns shall provide the following:
- Weekly blog submitted to SWD Coordinator about the intern experience for use on the SWD website / Facebook page (video and/or in writing)
- Learning report due at the end of the internship (2-3 page paper)
- Professional behavior
- Willingness to cover travel and living expenses to the internship location and SWD Leadership Academy
- Participation in the SWD Leadership Academy (May 26, 2017) and the SWD National Conference (May 26-28, 2017)
- Preparation to handle transportation while at the internship site (personal car, prearranged shared transportation, verification of bus route, etc.)
Expectations of Host Companies
Companies or governmental departments shall provide Students with Diabetes summer internships including:
- A learning opportunity to a student living with type-1 diabetes to help foster their academic and professional development
- Traditional stipend for student to cover expenses
- Assist student in locating housing for internship time period
- Mentorship of student
- Advertising of the SWD Internship Program partnership on company websites and social media sites
Travel to Internship Locations
Support For Students With Diabetes
Students with Diabetes requests that each internship site donate $250 per intern to the SWD Internship Program at the Diabetes Empowerment Foundation. This nominal fee supports the organizational costs incurred in marketing the program, selecting interns, training interns in leadership and advocacy skills, and managing the program.
Students with Diabetes will promote your company and your participation via social media channels, the intern blogs, websites (www.studentswithdiabetes.com and www.diabetesempowerment.org), as well as through Nicole Johnson’s various speaking engagements and social media platforms.
Should your company want to be a sponsor of the Students with Diabetes Internship Program or the SWD Leadership Academy, please contact John Swanston at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-576-8448.
To learn more about Students with Diabetes, visit www.studentswithdiabetes.com.
Please direct any questions or concerns to:
John P. Swanston
Diabetes Empowerment Foundation